Friday, May 7, 2010

Spazz

Brendan has a REW Netherland Dwarf Doe named Spazz, that I got for him last year at the OH mini convention.  We named her Spazz because everytime you open the door to her cage and reach in, she runs really fast round & round in circles...she's really hard to catch! lol  She recently just turned 1yr & 3 months old....when she turned senior, we tried and tried to get her bred but she just wasn't interested~until last month!  We finally got her to breed, and Brendan & I were both so excited and couldn't wait to see some babies.  She was bred to Yogi, Brendan's herd buck....they both have LOTS of Coin/Nelson in their background so that made the breeding even more exciting.  Well, this morning I went downstairs to wake up the girls for school and feed the basement bunnies, when I noticed Spazz pulling fur!  Since I didn't really know what to expect because this was her first time having babies, I sat nearby and waited.  After she jumped out of the nestbox, I found one lifeless baby.  It was freshly born, still warm and wet but not breathing....I held it and started massaging it, to see if maybe I could get it to start breathing.  I also started swinging it in a downward motion between my legs and to my surprise the little booger started gasping for air.  I kept working with him, and he seemed to be coming around.....I took him upstairs and wrapped him up in a towel and warmed him up with the blow dryer on low heat to keep him warm.  After he started breathing better, I took him back downstairs and put him in with a litter of Hollands that was also born this morning.  I made sure to breed one of my Hollands the same day as Spazz just in case we needed to foster....I pretty much planned on fostering them anyway just because of how spazzy she is, we were kind of afraid she might hurt the babies running in circles like that.  After I put the baby in with the litter of Hollands, I checked on Spazz again and found another baby on the wire, but this one was too far gone....I wasn't able to revive it  :( 

If this one continues to live and thrive....it will be our little miracle baby  :)
I'll keep you posted on the little guy.

As soon as I have another open Holland doe to breed, I will go ahead and rebreed Spazz.  Maybe things will go better next time.

-Malena

No comments:

Post a Comment